- YMCA of Edmonton
Has the following summer position(s) available from approximately
June 21 - August 30, 2013 for all YMCA of Edmonton Health and
Wellness Centres (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA,
Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA)
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Aquatics DC_SC_A
Would you prefer life in the water over dry land? The YMCA of
Edmonton is seeking individuals with a passion for aquatics sports
and activities. As a YMCA Specialty Counsellor, you will provide
campers with daily swimming, exciting water activities, and special
events that will help campers grow comfortable around water and
expose them to all things aquatics.
Aqua Explorers (6-9 years)
Aqua-sports (9-12 years)
Wage : $13.50/hour
Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as
Lead day camp programming:
- maintain attendance and program records,
plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and
distribute evaluations of programs.
- Active supervision of campers and
volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance
with the Day Camp Behaviour Management Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all necessary safety documents are
accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to
ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn
and develop in spirit, mind and body.
- Deliver high quality services through
excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal
understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and
values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal
commitment to a healthy lifestyle .
- Ensure campers develop comfort/familiarity
in a large variety of water-based activities.
- Educate campers on physical literacy
related to Aquatics.
- Role model good sportsmanship and
encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
- Ensure each camper receives a YMCA
positive progress report.
- Expose campers to aquatic leadership
opportunities (lifeguarding, instructing, etc).
- Introduce campers to a variety of aquatic
related sports and activities at an introductory level that may
include: Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo, Competitive Swimming,
First Aid & CPR, Aquatic Fitness, Lifeguarding Skills, and
- Role model, promote and facilitate water
safety awareness and education: Swim to Survive® program, ice
safety, boating safety, waterfront safety.
- Facilitate Aquatic based events such as
water Olympics and other water games.
- Currently a post-secondary student in
Education, Physical Education, Recreation, or related field.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child
Welfare & Police Security Clearance, and WHMIS Certification
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
certification an asset.
Aquatics Certifications considered an asset:
National Lifeguard Service (NLS), Oxygen Administration, YMCA Swim
Instructor (YSI) and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Aquatic Emergency
Care (AEC), Life Saving Society Swim Instructor.
- Experience in playing team structured
- Previous experience leading Aquatic
classes an asset.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an
- Knowledgeable in water safety, boating,
safe water play, etc.
- Ability to lead Aquatic instruction and
- Introductory synchronized swimming skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building
Applications will remain open until March 30,
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include
which location you prefer .